To some persons, okra is just for making soup, but the benefits of okra is much more than that. In this post, I will be sharing with you 7 very vital things that happens to your body when you eat okra for seven days.
Most of us know okra as that plain fruit we usually add to stew. We don’t see it as anything special and some even avoid it due to natura of being slimy.
However, did you know okra is one of the richest food out there? Don’t take just my words for it, read up the health benefits researchers have found can come from okra to see just how much of a superfood okra is.
Okra is native to Africa and Asia and comes in green and red colours. This food is rich in nutrients like protein, magnesium, fat, folate, Vitamins A, C, K and B. It is also very low in calories, which makes it a win for everyone.
7 Health Benefit You Get From Eating Okra
1. Okra is Great for Pregnant Women Pregnant women are advised to take 400 mcg of folate or folic acid a day to prevent a health complication in children known as spinal bifida. Spinal bifida is a neural tube defect of the spine and brain. Since okra is high in folate, women who take it greatly reduce the risk of their babies developing this health defect.
2. Okra Boosts Your Heart Health Did you know that okra (simple-looking okra) can also make your heart healthy in no time? A compound in okra called polyphenols does this by preventing blood clots and oxidative damage to the heart.
Another way okra protects the heart is by reducing your cholesterol levels and it does this by making sure you excrete excess cholesterol in your stool.
3. Okra Can Destroy Cancer Cells Okra also has a kind of protein, lectin which research has shown is effective in destroying cancer cells.
4. Okra Helps Reduce Blood Sugar A high level of sugar in the blood can make you prediabetic and if this level continues to rise, it can lead to diabetes. Luckily, eating okra has been know to drastically reduce high levels of blood sugar. It does this by making your digestive system absorb less sugar, which invariably means you will have a balanced sugar level in your system.
5. It Protects Your Body from Infections and Diseases Okra is very high in antioxidants, a compound known for shielding the body from the harmful effects of free radicals. Some antioxidants you can find in this fruit include flavonoids, isoquercetin, vitamins A and vitamin C
With these free radicals destroyed, you are less likely to fall I’ll or come down with an infection.
6. Okra will Boost Your Immune System Okra is also very effective in boosting the immune system since it contains vitamin C, a very important nutrient needed for maintaining a healthy immune system.
7. Okra Has Also Been Known to Boost Fertility First off, I want to say there is no scientific evidence that proves okra can boost fertility, however, traditional medicine practitioners swear by the potency of this simple looking fruit.
Men and women have been known to boost their fertility just by going on a secret herbal remedy made from okra. This remedy involves cutting the okra into smaller pieces and soaking in a bowl of water for a few hours or overnight. People who then drank this water and did this regularly saw a huge improvement in their fertility.